Border Sunday

Finally, it’s time to start stitching the outside quilt borders.  Today I will be timing my stitching progress on the cable border to determine if I am still able to meet my March 31st deadline without making myself too crabby.

Yesterday, on National Quilting Day (which is suppose to be fun) I had an unanticipated setback.  My stitching was moving along nicely on the bottom triangles and inside borders.  I was so pleased and was actually considering what I should post for Slow Sunday Stitching hosted by Kathy’s Quilts.  With delight I came to the very last corner/block.  As I was drawing my diagonal line, the pencil chalk lead became stuck.  When I looked, there was an 1/8″ inch hole.  I did not “&*%)@” as my heart had stopped.  I just gasped, “Oh no!”

I have no idea how it happened as I hadn’t even worked on the block.  Maybe something caught during the basting process.  Maybe it was in the fabric before I pieced it.  Black print fabric can hide flaws.  Maybe I could stop feeling sorry for myself and just fix it.  My first thought was the product Fray Check.  However, that would only be a repair and not the solution.

The only thing that would satisfy me is to replace the block.  Ouch!  Out came the seam ripper and the corner was carefully extracted.  All loose threads removed and seams pressed open.  The old piece was a template for a new piece.  Fortunately, I had extra matching fabric.

The two straight sides were stitched by machine but not fully to the corners/ends.  Then I inset the diagonal side with 1/4″ seam allowance turned under.  Pins were used to line it all up and to prevent any shifting.

Quality Control approved for Next Step

The corners and diagonal edge were blind stitched (similar to applique process).  I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out well.  Phew!  This process took two hours, but it was worthwhile.

It could have been worse.  There could have been previously sewn quilt stitches in the block or it could have happened on a larger block.  The hole was on top layer and not bottom, etc.  I was lucky that the mysterious flaw was on a corner piece.

Next was marking the border with a cable stencil.  Of course the cable design did not measure out equally with the quilt width.  I was off approximately 5/8’s of an inch.  So I  fudged adjusted my chalk lines.  This was accomplished by spacing out pins to see how it would look prior to drawing the chalk lines.

When I was done with all thus fussy work, I rewarded myself with one of my stress relievers.

Please check out other hand stitchers this week on Slow Sunday Stitching.
Smooth Stitches,
Jill

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Border Sunday

  1. Jill… thanks for taking so many awesome pics and showing how you solved your problem there! Love your dedication to a quilt you will be proud of when finished… and you are almost there! Yippee 🙂 Loving how you are quilting this… thanks for sharing your adventure and progress! Kathi

    Like

  2. OH my goodness…that was stressful, and I was only reading about it, not trying to solve it! Phew….I better go and eat some chocolate now!SO glad you could fix that hole and it looks great.Love your tip for measuring the cables with pins along the edge… hope I remember that for next time!Thanks for linking up and enjoy your slow stitching… or quick stitching :)The cable goes really quick, and I'll be cabling along with you and sending you positive energy, so I'm sure you will reach your goal!

    Like

  3. I had to do this on my Floribunda quilt. I didn't have a hole but a block turned the wrong way. It does take time but really not too difficult and it helps to have applique skills. I was lucky too that mine was near the edge of the quilt. Isn't it good to know that if you wanted to repair a quilt that you could? Knowledge we can never learn enough if you ask me. Your photos and description of the process are wonderful. I think your going to make that deadline. Looking forward to your finish!

    Like

  4. Oh how terrible! But you did fix it, and before quilting, and as you say on a corner which was relatively easy to fix. I have my grand daughter's first quilt downstairs which their cat has chewed a hole out of. Dead centre, about 3.5″ in diameter. I am dreading working on that, and have procrastinated terribly.

    Like

  5. Love the colors of your quilt! So frustrating to find a problem so close to finish but it looks like you got it resolved and behind you. Kudo's to you for making the effort!

    Like

  6. What a heart stopping moment to make a discovery like that. It looks like you handled it very well. Thanks for the pictures of your process – if I ever have to fix something like this myself I can know it is possible. Your quilting looks lovely!!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s